We can now announce make up class dates for the 2 remaining weeks
of Summer Camp that had to be canceled due to storm damage.
Sat Oct 31 and Sat Nov 7, 3:30-4:30pm
We are excited to announce a Summer Camp starting July 25th! Summer Camp with Central Iowa FSC
Learn To Skate classes offer your skater the opportunity to work on developing skills for ice sports from figure skating to ice hockey as well as recreational skating. Our classes include a 30 minute group skill lesson. There are classes available for all ages (3 year olds through adults) and skill levels. Parents with a U.S. Figure Skating or Learn to Skate USA membership may skate with their children during the practice time portion of their class.
Each Summer Camp registration includes:
- 5 Classes
- Each Class Includes a 30 Minute Group Lesson
- Learn To Skate USA Annual Membership
- Use of a Pair of Ice Skates
- Instruction by PSA (Professional Skaters Association) Coach, USA Hockey Coach or Learn to Skate USA Instructor
- Invitation to Participate in a Learn to Skate Group Performance in the Club's Winter or Spring Shows
All Classes take place at Buccaneer Arena: 7201 Hickman Road, Urbandale, IA 50322.
Our Summer Camp with 5 Classes is only $95 per Skater!
Registrations MUST be completed online! Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we must have all skaters registered online, we will not be accepting in-person registrations or handling checks or cash at the arena.
If you've registered for your first Learn To Skate class, here are some helpful tips for new skaters!
Due to COVID-19, we have new restrictions that will be in place for the Summer Camp:
- We are temporarily not accepting skaters that have not been in one of our classes previously, the skater must have completed a LTS USA level 1 class
- Snowplow Sam classes will not be offered for the Summer Camp
- Skaters must be age 8 and up if attending the class by themselves
- Skaters below the age of 8 may register if a parent also registers for the same class
- Parents and spectators will not be allowed in the arena once the skater enters the ice
- Parents and skaters are expected to maintain proper social distancing from other families when in the arena
- Classes are limited to 15 skaters (one primary and one assistant coach will lead the class)
- Focus will be on mastering basic skills and encouraging participation, no testing
- Club volunteers and coaches will wear face masks
- Parents and skaters are strongly encouraged to wear face masks as well
- Skaters must come dressed and ready to skate, skates may be put on in the arena
- Skaters must wear a pair of gloves
- You will be required to sign waivers on the first day for both the Club and Buccaneer Arena regarding the risk of infectious diseases. If the skater is under 18, a parent or guardian must be present to sign the waivers. Please bring your own pen.
- No practice ice will be available, private lessons are available from 3:30 - 4:00 PM, please speak with the coach for additional information.
- Health screen questions may be asked and temperatures may be taken at the door, results may prevent Skaters from participating
- You may arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before class starts, and must exit the arena within 15 minutes of class finishing
Reserve your skater's spot in a class today! Register for Figure Skating and Hockey online here:
Figure Skating / Recreational
Saturdays: 3:00 - 3:30 PM
Hockey - Sorry, this class is FULL.
Saturdays: 3:00 - 3:30 PM
* Any changes to class dates will be posted here or on our Club's Facebook page. We do our best to avoid any changes once the Session starts, but winter weather and the arena schedule may impact our scheduled times. No refunds will be offered unless we are unable to complete the session.
We offer several different types of classes depending upon the skater's age level and goals. We welcome skaters of all ages, typically children are able to begin taking classes around the age of 3. The programs are designed for those desiring to skate recreationally, figure skate or learn the skating skills required to play hockey.
"These lessons put the FUN in fundamentals as your skaters enjoy learning the basics of ice skating." - LTS USA
Some of the skills taught in these classes include: backwards and forwards swizzles and wiggles, scooter pushes, one-foot glides, two-foot glides, forward stroking, swizzles pumps on a circles, transitions, forward and backwards snowplow stops, outside and inside edges on a circle, forward and backwards crossovers, three-turn, two-foot spin, hockey stop, backwards stoking and bunny hops.
More Information: Basic Skills (PDF)
If your skater has advanced through the Basic Skills classes and would like to begin working in smaller group lessons with a coach before beginning to take private lessons, or already takes private lessons and would like to practice additional skills in a small group with other skaters, our Bridge Program may be a great choice for them!
"Before you can score a goal, you need to learn to skate. In the hockey program, skaters will learn how to be proficient and agile on the ice." - LTS USA
Some of the skills taught in these classes include: falling and recovery, proper hockey stance, forward marching and gliding, forward and backwards swizzles, snowplow stop, backward hustle or march, lateral crossover march, forward and backward c-cuts, quick starts, backwards one-foot glides, forward and backwards crossover glides, forward and backwards crossovers and hockey stops.
More Information: Hockey (PDF)
"Ice skating is for the kid in all of us. The adult curriculum is designed for beginning and experienced skaters who wish to improve their skills." - LTS USA
Some of the skills taught in these classes include: falling and recovery on-ice, marching, gliding, forward and backward swizzles, forward slalom, forward and backwards snowplow stops, inside and outside edges on a circle, forward and backward crossovers, t-stops, lunges and two-foot spins.
More Information: Adult (PDF)